If you’re looking for a top-notch place to experience the artistry of the fall season, you need to visit Murphys in Northern California. The temperatures are mild, the air is crisp, and the trees are home to dazzling leaves of auburn and gold. Plus, there are lots of fun-filled Calaveras County fall activities that you won’t want to miss! We’ve broken down the best things to see and do in the area during autumn.
For additional tips for planning your trip, check out our complimentary Vacation Guide. It is full of insider information on the best restaurants, outdoor activities, and places to visit.
Fun-Filled Calaveras County Fall Activities
1. Visit a Wine Tasting Room
California wine country is a beautiful place that needs to be on your list of places to visit. Murphys, CA, is home to many fantastic vineyards and tasting rooms that you can stop by and sip on some Calaveras County wines. One of the best ways to discover the best wineries in the area is by taking a Courtwood Wine Tasting Tour. Some of our favorite wineries include:
2. Take a Scenic Drive
If you’re looking for the perfect place to take a road trip this fall, look no further than Calaveras County. With the Sierra Nevada Mountains, towering trees, and scenic overlooks, the area is full of scenic drives that will surround you with breathtaking fall foliage and unforgettable views.
- Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway
- Best Drive: Taking day trips from Murphys to a state park.
- The Yosemite Valley Loop
- Best Drive: Taking a day trip from Murphys to Yosemite National Park.
3. Embark on a Hike
The grandest of all hikes is under the Big Trees, where you’ll be mesmerized by the towering sequoias, the largest trees on earth. There are many hiking trails to choose from near Courtwood Inn, but we’ve selected our picks for the best fall hikes in the area.
4. Gaze at the Stars
A must-do Calaveras County fall activity is stargazing. Our inn is an ideal location for stargazing because of the high elevation and distance from large cities. On a cool autumn night, explore one of these other stargazing spots to feel the magic of the season.
Exciting Autumn Annual Events
Blues and Bones Festival
- You can’t beat the sound of blues combined with mouthwatering barbeque food. Head to Angels Camp this fall and jam out at the Blues and Bones Festival. This event is family-friendly and features some of the country’s best traveling blues bands and award-winning BBQ dishes.
Murphys Farmers Market
- Nothing beats the flavor and essence of local produce and products. When you shop at the Murphys Farmers Market, you’ll have access to top-notch fruits, vegetables, home goods, and other unique products from locals in the area. The market is held every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Murphys Community Park. You can also shop at the San Adreas Farmers Market on Thursday evenings.
Calaveras Grape Stomp
- The annual Calaveras Grape Stomp is the largest and oldest grape stomp competition in California—wow! Each October, the historic town of Murphys transforms into a frenzy of activity with two renowned events, the Calaveras Grape Stomp and the Gold Rush Street Faire. These events feature grape stomping, live and silent auctions, a stomp team costume contest, and plenty of wine tastings. Main Street floods with over 100 unique booths where you can purchase antiques and collectibles, handmade crafts, eclectic jewelry, and much more. Plus, there’s a plethora of delicious food vendors and local restaurants that will open their doors.
Oktoberfest In The Park
- The annual Oktoberfest In The Park at Murphys Community Park includes a variety of fun activities! Test your skills at their Bocce & Cornhole tournaments, enjoy authentic German cuisine and even dance the day away with traditional Oompa style music. The event also benefits the local community with a silent auction where all proceeds go to projects to improve and expand Murphys Community Park. Don’t miss out on this fun community event!
Mark Twain Wild West Fest
- The Mark Twain Wild West Fest hosted in downtown Angels Camp is fun for Mark Twain fans and history buffs a like! Step back in time to the 19th century gold rush era as street performers in period costumes transport you to the height of the gold rush. There will be shoot-out re-enactments with gun-slinging cowboys, gold panning demonstrations, and more! There will also be a flapjack breakfast, over 80 vendors selling a variety of arts and crafts and a custom car show. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn more about Angel Camp’s history.
Murphys Day of the Dead
- Each year, Murphys celebrates the Day of the Dead, also known as Dia de Los Muertos, on the first Saturday in November. Local businesses will be offering authentic cultural art, food, sugar skills, face painting, and live music. Featured events during this celebration include the Catrina and Catrin Dress Contest and Remembrance Ceremony.
Stay at the Gorgeous Courtwood Inn
When you’re searching for the best place to stay during fall in Northern California’s Gold Country, look no further than Courtwood Inn. Our elegant Bed and Breakfast sits just 2 miles from the heart of picturesque Murphys and yields views of rolling foothills filled with pine trees.
At Courtwood Inn, we’re very proud of our custom-designed cedar log lodge, which we built with our guests’ comfort and luxury in mind. Each of our five distinctive rooms has a private bath and spectacular views from a private patio, deck area, or balcony. Our Drop Shot Room is our “No-Frills” option where you can enjoy the million-dollar views for much less than our deluxe rooms. This room is a wonderful option for the traveler concerned with exploring the area rather than residing in a room.
It’s time to start planning your autumn adventure in Northern California. Check our availability and reserve your room today!