If you’re looking for a top-notch place to experience the artistry of the fall season, you need to visit Murphys in Northern California. The temperatures are mild, the air is crisp, and the trees are home to dazzling leaves of auburn and gold. Plus, there are lots of fun-filled Calaveras County fall activities that you won’t want to miss! We’ve broken down the best things to see and do in the area during autumn.
For additional tips for planning your trip, check out our complimentary Vacation Guide. It is full of insider information on the best restaurants, outdoor activities, and places to visit.
Fun-Filled Calaveras County Fall Activities
1. Visit a Wine Tasting Room
California wine country is a beautiful place that needs to be on your list of places to visit. Murphy’s, CA, is home to many fantastic vineyards and tasting rooms that you can stop by and sip on some Calaveras County wines. One of the best ways to discover the best wineries in the area is by taking a Courtwood Wine Tasting Tour. Some of our favorite wineries include:
2. Take a Scenic Drive
If you’re looking for the perfect place to take a road trip this fall, look no further than Calaveras County. With the Sierra Nevada Mountains, towering trees, and scenic overlooks, the area is full of scenic drives that will surround you with breathtaking fall foliage and unforgettable views.
- Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway
- Best Drive: Taking day trips from Murphy’s to a state park.
- Redwood Highway
- Best Drive: Anytime you’d like to take a road trip to see the Redwoods.
- The Yosemite Valley Loop
- Best Drive: Taking a day trip from Murphy’s to Yosemite National Park.
3. Embark on a Hike
When you go hiking in Northern California during autumn, you’ll be mesmerized by the towering sequoias with canopies of red, orange, and yellow. There are many hiking trails to choose from near Courtwood Inn, but we’ve selected our picks for the best fall hikes in the area.
4. Gaze at the Stars
A must-do Calaveras County fall activity is stargazing. Our inn is an ideal location for stargazing because of the high elevation and distance from large cities. On a cool autumn night, explore one of these other stargazing spots to feel the magic of the season.
Exciting Autumn Annual Events
Blues and Bones Festival
- You can’t beat the sound of blues combined with mouthwatering barbeque food. Head to Angels Camp this fall and jam out at the Blues and Bones Festival. This event is family-friendly and features some of the country’s best traveling blues bands and award-winning BBQ dishes.
- Nothing beats the flavor and essence of local produce and products. When you shop at the Murphys Farmers Market, you’ll have access to top-notch fruits, vegetables, home goods, and other unique products from locals in the area. The market is held every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Murphys Community Park. You can also shop at the San Adreas Farmers Market on Thursday evenings.
Harvest Festival & Pumpkin Patch
- This October festival is a blast for people of all ages. The Harvest Festival features live music, a pumpkin patch, face painting, horse-drawn carriage rides, and pony rides for children. There’s also no shortage of delicious food. There will be vendors serving up cannoli, stone-oven pizza, kettle corn, ice cream, and more. You’ll also be able to pick up some local, hand-crafted goods as well, such as soaps, jewelry, and crafts.
- The annual Calaveras Grape Stomp is the largest and oldest grape stomp competition in California—wow! Each October, the historic town of Murphy’s transforms into a frenzy of activity with two renowned events, the Calaveras Grape Stomp and the Gold Rush Street Faire. These events feature grape stomping, live and silent auctions, a stomp team costume contest, and plenty of wine tastings. Main Street floods with over 100 unique booths where you can purchase antiques and collectibles, handmade crafts, eclectic jewelry, and much more. Plus, there’s a plethora of delicious food vendors and local restaurants that will open their doors.
Murphy’s Day of the Dead
- Each year, Murphy’s celebrates the Day of the Dead, also known as Dia de Los Muertos, on the first Saturday in November. Local businesses will be offering authentic cultural art, food, sugar skills, face painting, and live music. Featured events during this celebration include the Catrina and Catrin Dress Contest and Remembrance Ceremony.
Stay at the Gorgeous Courtwood Inn
When you’re searching for the best place to stay during fall in Northern California, look no further than Courtwood Inn. Our elegant bed and breakfast sits in the heart of picturesque Murphys and yields views of rolling foothills filled with pine trees all the way to the San Joaquin Valley.
At Courtwood Inn, we’re very proud of our custom-designed cedar log lodge, which we built with our guests’ comfort and luxury in mind. Each of our five distinctive rooms has a private bath and spectacular views from a private patio, deck area, or balcony. Our Drop Shot Room is our “No-Frills” option where you can enjoy the million-dollar views for much less than our deluxe rooms. This room is a wonderful option for the traveler concerned with exploring the area rather than residing in a room.
It’s time to start planning your autumn adventure in Northern California. Check our availability and reserve your room today!